Friday, June 27, 2008

Vacation Diary - Day Seven



We spent the vast majority of today at the beach and it was fun, despite the...um...interesting things that happened.

Highlights of the Day:

1. I forgot to record this yesterday: we saw a crab on the sand, scuttling around. My children and several others were delighted and crowded around him to get an up close and personal view. The crab did not take kindly to being studied and raced to safety. Inside someone's beach tent. Up the pant leg of a sleeping toddler.

Mayhem ensued. The mother snatched the toddler and began beating at his pants. The crab took exception to this treatment. So did the toddler. Much screaming emanated from the tent and then the mother snatched her child's pants down, yanked out the crab, and threw him from the tent.

I sympathized with all parties.

2. I got stung by a jelly fish. Twice. At least that's what we think happened. I didn't feel it at the time it happened but I ended up with welts across both ankles and those hurt. I declined the Scientist's instructions to pee on myself to rid myself of the pain and also refused Daredevil's generous offer to do it for me. The welts are already almost gone.

I did shame myself later that day by shrieking like a little girl when I felt something (probably seaweed but I didn't reach my hand down to check) float against my feet again.

3. Seagulls are brazen, defiant creatures. Spend enough time around a flock of them and you begin to believe Hitchcock was on to something.

4. Turns out that spray-on sunscreen is best applied indoors where there is no chance of even the slightest breeze. My hubby now has a strangley patterned sunburn where gusts of wind blew the sunscreen off course. Poor guy is not a happy camper.

Tomorrow we leave Florida bright and unbearably early and will boldly attempt to drive the entire way home in one please-God-just-kill-me-now day. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Such enjoyment at the beach! It's always fun being in the water...until...Last year, I got eaten up by some water fleas. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...